- Interviews with editors, art directors, or other professionals in or related to our field.
- Articles from experienced authors and artists about the craft of writing and illustrating for children.
- Upcoming Events in Michigan and neighboring regions, including all those sponsored by SCBWI-MI.
- Marketing News, including publishers' needs, new or less-known markets, editorial and policy changes.
- Inspiration and Motivation from children's writers and illustrators who have laughed, cried–and tried, tried again.
- Award, Grant, and Contest information for working writers and illustrators.
Plus! The SCBWI Bulletin is a bi-monthly publication containing comprehensive and current information in the field of children’s literature. In addition to features each month, regular departments include the latest market reports, information on school visits, book reviews, art tips, information on contests and awards, information on the illustration market, news of SCBWI members, and information about ongoing SCBWI activities throughout the world. The SCBWI Bulletin is an invaluable source of information and inspiration to writers and illustrators of children’s literature. We now have over 40 years of SCBWI Bulletins archived. Members can access the current issue and the archives below.
Sample Articles from our illustrious Michigan SCBWI Chapter:
- The Educational Market: An Insider's View, by Kathryn Wheeler
- Finding a Great Nonfiction Topic, by Kim Marie Wood
- Be Smart About Dummies! by Jean Gralley
- Voice, by Juanita Havill
- Veteran's Corner: The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Writer, by Richard Peck
- Good Bad Guys, by Pam Zollman
- The Art (and the Pain) of Writing and Revising, by Brenda Shannon Yee
Especially for Members:
Hugs and Hurrahs … news of members' recent sales and awards.
Lonely Hearts Writers Club … critique groups looking for members; members looking for groups
Volunteer Opportunities … to connect with others, learn more–and help us too!
The SCBWI-Michigan Mitten is …
…the best way to stay fully informed about SCBWI-MI events
…the first step in entering the network of support that we offer
The Mitten is now only available in electronic version; it is sent out FREE to SCBWI members residing in Michigan. If you are not receiving your newsletter, double-check that your e-mail address is up-to-date on your member profile at www.scbwi.org.
If your SCBWI member profile is up to date with your current e-mail and you are still not receiving your newsletter, please contact Kristin Lenz or Jodie Fletcher to troubleshoot: kristinbartleylenz AT gmail DOT com or jodellafletch AT gmail DOT com.